Omega: Seamaster Planet Ocean “Deep Black”11 July 2016
OMEGA presents in preview for Italy the Seamaster Planet Ocean “Deep Black” collection.
We find ourselves in Milan, where Raynald Aeschlimann (President and CEO of OMEGA), Jean-Claude Monachon (Vice-President Products of OMEGA), and Malik Bey (Brand Manager of OMEGA) welcomed us in the amazing Villa Necchi Campiglio, to unveil all the novelties of OMEGA’s diving line.
Along with the other guests we went through all the milestones of the OMEGA watches dedicated to the sea; from the first diving watch from 1932, “The Marine”, until today’s last generation of Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronometers.Many of them have been wore by the bravest explorers, like William Beebe, Jacques Cousteau and Jacques Mayol.
The new Planet Ocean “Deep Black” collection was unveiled inside a room entirely upholstered with led lights which made the people experience how it is like to be under water.
Four outstanding timepieces with dual time zone, featuring a 45,5 mm case diameter in ceramic, are projected to resist pressure up to 60 bar. Beside the three models in ceramic; one black with shiny finishing, one black with MATTE finishing and blue details and one black with MATTE finishing and red details, one with 18k Sedna gold details was also unveiled.
All the watches encloses the caliber OMEGA Master Chronometer 8906, resistent to magnetic fields of 15,000 gauss.
10 UNIQUE FEATURES OF THE “DEEP BLACK” COLLECTION
- In a first for the Planet Ocean, the case body of each “Deep Black” model has been crafted from a single block of ceramic. The same material is also used for the unidirectional bezels as well as the dials that feature new Arabic numerals.
- On the Black and 18K Sedna™ gold models, the ceramic cases and dials have been polished for a glossy effect. The blue and red versions are brushed for a matt effect that offers better visibility underwater.
- A new GMT ring has been fixed on the dial while the diving scale sits on the ceramic bezel using Liquidmetal® or OMEGA Ceragold™.
- For the Black model, Liquidmetal® is also used to create the He symbol on the Helium valve and OMEGA symbol on the crown. On the blue and red models, these two features are coloured using a rubber injection.
- For the first time, rubber has been blended with ceramic to create a unique bezel. On the blue and red models, this colourful innovation can be seen covering the first 15 minutes. Another useful feature for divers.
- In another remarkable first, OMEGA has created an oriented casebackso that the engraved wording sits perfectly in position. This has been achieved through OMEGA’s new and patented ceramic Naiad Lock. The alveol design of the caseback also offers an aesthetic wave pattern.
- Why the colours? Imagine you are descending below the waves of the ocean. At 5 m, the first colour that is no longer visible is red. That means that this “military” divers’ watch will gain a camouflage advantage by gradually matching your wetsuit. Go deeper to 275 m and the last colour you’ll see, based on light penetration, is the exact shade of blue found on the blue Deep Black model. Finally, at a depth of 300 m, the ocean will turn black. The 18K Sedna™ gold model is a lifestyle piece built for people who enjoy time on deck.
- The hands and indexes of the watches are created from 18K Sedna™ gold or 18K white gold. They are coated in white Super-LumiNova that emits green and blue colours.
- The black rubber straps have been designed to give the appearance of being fabric. They feature contrasting stitching and have also been treated with an anti-bacterial coating. A wave pattern can be found on the underside. On the Sedna™ gold model, the strap is water-resistant leather, with the same anti-bacterial rubber underside. The foldover clasp is made from ceramised titanium, while the clasp cover has been produced in ceramic with two types of finishing.
- The “Deep Black” is driven by the OMEGA Master Chronometer calibre 8906. Resistant to magnetic fields of 15,000 gauss, each watch has passed the 8 tests set by the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology (METAS). This higher standard of precision and performance is in addition to traditional COSC certification. The watch comes with a four year warranty.